The path of the doubter.



I didn't write the following words, but they were so good I had to share it:


If I were born a Muslim, there'd only be one God. Allah would be his name, Muhammad carried his Rod. I'd scream salam to the inhabitants of lands both near and far, as I raised my sword, a banner to him, and yelled Allahu akbar! I'd get my 72 virgins if I gave my life in Jihad. What's to lose? Kill the infidels! Anyone who doesn't claim the same God.

If I were born a Catholic, life would be much easier you see. Mass is only important on Easter and Christmas Eve. I'd buy my indulgences when I felt the need and urge to be free, of sin and filth and all other things that weighed heavily upon me. I'm just kidding though, wink wink, you know those times have long since ceased. That's right! You'll find that the pope changed his mind. The only thing between us and God is a priest. Mary would be my true mother, and I'd really have no complaints. Through her virtue she intermediates... And let's not forget the Saints!

If I were born an evangelist "I know I'm saved" I'd say. For all who know the real Christ can return with him someday. If everyone understood the truth, things would turn out well. If you don't, it's no big deal... You'll only burn in hell. To escape the flames you'd have to understand him exactly as I do. For many are called but few are chosen-and I know I'm among the few.
If I were born a Jehovah's Witness Not accepting blood would be my clout. And dying in spite of medical advancements (it would prove that I'm devout). Never mind those doomsday predictions that never seemed to be fulfilled. They were spiritual in nature-it's not that hard a pill. Those false predictions were given to us to prove as just a test. If you don't believe me, I'd just shun you like the rest.

If I were born a Mormon, heaven's streets would be paved in gold. I'd have a living prophet just like in times of old. He'd tell me what I need to do to return to live with God: abstain from tea and coffee, I know it may sound odd. I'd know exactly how I could obtain eternal life: You just have to be bold like the prophets of old and have more than just one wife. Follow the prophet, he knows the way, You'll be separated from your family for eternity if you choose not to obey.

If I were born a Scientologist My faith origins would be as ancient as religious thought itself... Even though it came into the world as fiction on a 1950's book shelf. L. Ron Hubbard himself would cry and he most probably would bolt, if he knew the sci-fi novels he wrote had started the world's smartest cult. Don't try to leave you'd fail no doubt there's no good reason to go. It's us versus the world, everyone else is wrong, you'll be held accountable with the truth you now know.

If I were born a pagan I could choose the God I like, that fit my wants and felt the best and suited my needs just right! Apollo to guide by day, Inanna to guide by night. They'd give me wisdom, light, and knowledge- I hope I got that right... Because believing in the wrong God'd be quite a mistake to make. Someone else's vengeful God might tell them to burn me at the stake. I'd do my best to pick the right God to protect me from those men. But there are so many of them out there that I could choose the wrong one... What then?

If I were born a member of the cult of Jimmy Jones, I'd know the man to follow to protect me from my woes I'd follow a communist order the likes of which never has been seen And move to the beautiful Jonestown to live life so blissfully. I'd never question Jimmy's teachings, my devotion would never fade. I'd take part in translation from this world by drinking cyanide in my koolaide.

But I was born in my parents house and luckily was given the mold! I was taught from birth the correct path to take and to conform to what I'm told. I've never questioned what they taught and was told to agree with what they say... I'd make them sad and make God mad- I don't question, I just obey! If anything feels out of place or doesn't feel quite right It's Satan trying to persuade me to give up the eternal fight. It's not an issue with the faith chosen for me since my birth, Because I was told since I was one year old that it's the only true one on earth! I doubt my doubts, and don't think too much-especially not critically. I defend myself and my undeterred faith using logical fallacy. I've come to know and my conviction will show and it's fairly plain to see: The one who holds the truth of all is obviously me.

Now if I were a doubter it'd be the hardest road to take. I'd be told to keep up appearances for everyone else's sake. If I question what I was taught from birth It would be whispered that I don't see In passive aggressive undertones implying that the problem lies in me. I'd hide it deep inside and smile and keep it all completely dormant, When the contradictions I now see so clearly make my mind and soul feel torment. If anyone else ever feels the same way I'll never be able to know. Because everyone else that has the same doubts undoubtedly puts on the same show.

Comments

Popular Posts